
The Heflin-Torbert Judicial Building in downtown Montgomery, Alabama, seen on January 24, 2023. Justices on Monday extended a briefing deadline for Republican gubernatorial nominee Tommy Tuberville in a case that is challenging his candidacy. (Brian Lyman/Alabama Reflector)
The Alabama Supreme Court on Monday extended a briefing deadline for Republican gubernatorial nominee Tommy Tuberville’s responses in a lawsuit challenging his ability to run for the office.
The court moved the briefing deadline from Friday to Aug. 27. Earlier this month, plaintiffs in the case also sought and received an extension to file their motions with the state’s high court. In a motion filed on Friday, Tuberville’s lawyers said they are busy with a civil lawsuit against Tuberville in Jefferson County filed by former Republican gubernatorial candidate Ken McFeeters. It is McFeeters’ fourth attempt to remove Tuberville from the ballot in some way.
“That case is filed by a different plaintiff, and involves a pleading of over 100 pages as well as exhibits totaling 400 pages,” the motion said.
According to the Friday motion, the appellants had no objection to the extension. In a statement Monday morning, Barry Ragsdale, an attorney for the plaintiffs challenging Tuberville, said he had no problem with the extension because “the case cannot possibly be resolved before the deadline for the GOP to replace Tuberville on the general election ballot.”
A message seeking further comment from Tuberville’s lawyers and campaign was sent Monday morning.
Plaintiffs allege that Tuberville does not meet the state’s seven-year residency requirement to run for governor, citing reporting from several state outlets. Tuberville maintains that he meets the seven-year residency requirement.
The case made its way to the Alabama Supreme Court after a Montgomery County Circuit Judge dismissed the case due to a lack of jurisdiction. She did not rule on the merits.
From Alabama Reflector Post Url: Visit
Author: Anna Barrett